[Freemint-list] Aranym, TOS4.04, EmuTOS, FreeMiNT fVDI, NVDI benchmarked

Miro Kropáček miro.kropacek at gmail.com
Mon Jan 16 02:42:05 MSK 2017

While this is mostly interesting for Aranym developers, seeing their ML in
pieces I think this could be of interest for other here as well (as for
EmuTOS and Hatari developers but I didn't want to spam all lists, feel free
to "steal" it if needed).

Philippe has not only done nice Aranym/FreeMiNT distro and XaAES skins but
he has done Perhaps The Best Atari OS Performance Comparison On Earth
<http://www.atari-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=30962&start=25#p309511>
(tm) ;-) (if you can't see the attachment, it's here:
http://www.philippeworld.net/ftp/Pictures/Aranym-bench-TOS-3.png).

He's measured basically every possible combination of OS, VDI and Aranym
mode with Kronos which gives us valuable information about how HW emulation
affects other aspects of emulation.

The most stunning result is the *drastic* difference between Aranym-JIT
with FreeMiNT vs. with EmuTOS/TOS, it seems like FreeMiNT somehow "enables"
Aranym's JIT at full speed (?). Please note that you can't attribute this
to fVDI and/or native features only because EmuTOS+fVDI is equally
crawling. FreeMiNT is not taking advantage of native partitions either.

--
MiKRO / Mystic Bytes
http://mikro.atari.org