Re: [MiNT] rpm

On Tue, 23 Dec 2014 18:30:18 , Jo Even Skarstein <joska@online.no> wrote:

> Quite often an updated lib also requires an updated application.

Yes, it is a circular problem... to port one app, the developer has
to port a stack of libs which would need an rpm of each.

Then those libs are probably used by other apps that will now need to be
re-built to use the latest security/bug fix.

A major piece of work. Hopefully a build server will go some way to
alleviate this problem.

>From the developers view point being able to use the latest lib without
having to wait years for all the dependencies to be re-built has to be
better.

I think that these long delays have been a big factor in causing the sparemint
ports to become old and often using obsolete versions of libs.

By breaking the development down into smaller portions it becomes less
of an obstacle, real or psycholgical.

An updated release could be done today and several more libs and apps would
benefit immediately.

As for VM, is there anyone here who is involved with any of the BSD development
or knows people who are ?

Maybe someone with knowledge of BSD virtual memory internals could be
persuaded to look into Mint ?  A long shot I know but some people like
a fresh challenge and may have a lot of prior experience.

Best Wishes to All for Xmas,

Peter