Re: [MiNT] Gentoo

On Tue, 21 Oct 2014 18:52:48 , Peter Slegg <p.slegg@scubadivers.co.uk> wrote:
> I haven't looked deeply into Gentoo because I didn't want
> to confuse my mainly sparemint based set-up.
>
> It looks like Alan has put a lot of work into building quite
> a lot of packages.
>
> Does portage work with these binaries in a similar way to
> rpm ?
>
> I downloaded portage but I think it needs python >= 2.7 and I
> currently have 2.3.4 from Sparemint so some preliminary work
> is needed to get started with gentoo.
>
> Is python-exec needed ?
>
> Peter

I know Alan advised against trying to manually switch to gentoo
but I gave it a try.

Installed gentoolkit and then python 3.3 from Alan's files.
Then it required pyhton-exec which got some of the gentoolkit
files running.

Next I added portage-utils.

Most of of e* files in /usr/bin are now available. There is
no emerge so I tried some of the other commands:

bash-4.3# eread --help
/usr/bin/eread: line 11: portageq: command not found
/usr/bin/eread: line 18: portageq: command not found
ELOG directory: /var/log/portage/elog does not exist!

I think there may be a file corruption because I am getting strange
errors like this:

bash-4.3# epkginfo
/usr/bin/epkginfo: unable to stat symlink at /usr/bin/epkginfo@         SÇjâB«¯ôB«¯°EùTê/<: No such file or directory

Peter