Re: [MiNT] Native GCC built

On 22/11/2013 15:59, p.slegg@scubadivers.co.uk wrote:
This sounds great but I am not sure I grasp all of the implications. I guess
you are working towards a native cpu build of packages for each machine ?

Actually, I cross-build the packages, for each machine.
Then the packages can run optimally on each machine.

MiKRO did the same to build his native gcc. It was cross-built, but the result is fully native.

Does this mean we could have 020-060 packages ?

I have already built most of them. See my website.
However, my packages are just dumb .tar.bz2 binary archives, as proof of concept. They demonstrate that such packages (and versions) are compatible with MiNT, with more or less build tweaks.

Such packages are good enough for my own tests, but cannot be cleanly uninstalled. Packagers could directly repackage them into RPM or something else for easy usage. Or the build scripts could be reused to produce clean RPM source packages, if someone absolutely wants to build things natively. I don't see the point, since the binaries (even cross-compiled) are already available.

I notice your version of samba is different to the one Alan worked on for Gentoo.
3.6.1 versus 3.6.5

This is because samba is on my TODO list, I have not upgraded it yet. On the FireBee, I will have to use FireTOS to test it, because the FEC driver (Ethernet) does not not work on EmuTOS yet. I plan to do that next week.

--
Vincent Rivière