Re: [MiNT] Native GCC built

On 20/11/2013 13:01, Miro Kropáček wrote:
I have done some research -- it seems that it's handled like this:

- if you're on an x64 host, you configure gcc as multilib with 32/64/x32
targets
- if you're on an x86 host, you configure gcc as multiarch (you can
specify the targets with --enable-targets option)

Many thanks for this information, I wasn't aware of multiarch.

It seems that multiarch is mostly a Debian/Ubuntu thing.

On my Red Hat EL 5 64-bit, I can confirm what you say. Multilib is used for 32-bit things (confirmed by gcc -print-multi-lib and -dumpspecs):
- /lib64 is used for native 64-bit libs
- /lib is used by multilib for 32-bit libraries

Multiarch seems to be a wider solution, including compiler, package managers, etc.

(nice explanation here: https://wiki.debian.org/Multiarch).

Excellent information, especially that page which makes a summary of the GCC and OS stuff regarding to multlib/multiach:
https://wiki.debian.org/Multiarch/LibraryPathOverview

Easy solution: make 5475 a separate target => cross compiler (btw this
again kind of emphasizes that ColdFire is not really a m68k :)).

That's the Debian/68k solution.

Elegant solution: add support for multiarch to m68k.

Yes. Maybe that would only be possible where the native gcc already uses multiarch, I'm not sure.

I still don't understand if multiarch will solve the main problem: does it prevent configure scripts to consider different multiarch as cross-compilation? Probably, yes. But I guess that configure scripts must be multiarch-aware.

--
Vincent Rivière