Re: [MiNT] Strange getcwd() return value

On Thu, 24 Oct 2013 23:17:20 , Jo Even Skarstein <joska@online.no> wrote:

> In DOS and GEMDOS, the path and the drive are two different things.
> MiNTlib tries to emulate a unix-type root filesystem on top of this,
> which it does reasonably well *as long as you don't mix MiNTlib paths
> with GEMDOS calls*. And that's exactly what you're doing if you pass
> e.g. the cwd obtained from MiNTlib to rsrc_load(). If you want to do
> this, you must atleast prepend it with a "u:" so GEMDOS will know which
> drive's root your referring to.
>
> >  root of all
> >  filesystems: the unified filesystem. Using this chracter as a pointer
> >  to some
> >  specific partition makes sure there will be trouble with sane people.
>
> Again, there is no root filesystem in DOS and GEMDOS. In GEMDOS you have
> the current drive and the current path. In unix you have the current
> path. You just have to live with it :)
>
> Jo Even

Nice explanation.

If I understand it, in DOS if you enter C: it changes to the C drive and
then \ is the root of that drive's filesystem.

In unix / is the root of the filesystem which doesn't exist in DOS.
The unix root is on a physical drive but is / just an alias to the device ?

Peter