Re: [MiNT] opkg / coldmint

Hi,

On perjantai 15 helmikuu 2013, Ole wrote:
>  Am Freitag, den 15.02.2013, 14:37 +0100 schrieb Eero Tamminen
>
>  <oak@helsinkinet.fi>:
> > Opkg, being based on ipkg, is not a real package management,
> > it's more of a package & package dependency installer.  AFAIK
> > it doesn't have *any* support for handling package conflicts,
> > file replacements, alternatives (maybe not even running
> > package specific scripts?).
>
>  Not true...
>   - it is an package management system.
>   - but it's also an build system... (AFAIK much more handy than RPM...)

Is there some documentation on what the source package build & package
rules look like?

>   - ipkg is .deb compatible

I assume you mean compatible to the binary packages.  DEBs are
simply an ar archive of tar.gz files, so extracting them can be
be done even manually from command line.  :-)

Is opkg compatible also to .deb net-archives (which have certain
directory structure and cryptographically signed index files)?
Or just to .deb package files?

>   - it has support for conflicts, and suggestions...

Because opkg does also package dependency fetching, it should really
be compared to apt/aptitude, but I guess it just report conflicts
(like dpkg does), it doesn't resolve them (like apt & aptitude do)?

(On MiNT there would be so few packages and infrequent package updates
that conflict resolution isn't as necessary like it's on Debian which
has tens of thousands of packages, some with conflicting dependencies.)

>   - it runs replacements, alternatives, postinst and prerm scripts (just
>  like .deb)

Ok, sounds good.

	- Eero