Re: [MiNT] FreeMiNT binaries and CPU specific versions

On Thu, Jul 28, 2011 at 4:17 AM, Jo Even Skarstein <joska@online.no> wrote:
> On Wed, 2011-07-27 at 16:13 +1200, Paul Wratt wrote:
>
>> does it make sense to have daily builds produce a build number that is
>> used in path + archive name.
>>
>> ie:
>> if you build from cvs it defaults to "mint/_maj_-_min_-cur" (normal)
>> daily builds are "mint/_maj__min_b_build_" then "mint/_maj_-_min_-cur"
>> (118b0321)
>> release builds are "mint/_maj_-_min_-_point_" (1-17-0 or 1-18-1 etc) (normal)
>>
>> this would solve the -cur problem. I had scripts and ver files to
>
> No it won't, because as you state yourself the kernel doesn't find these
> folders.

..unless source was changed to handle it..

> Then the daily build can just add a suffix consisting of three digits to
> $SYSDIR, e.g. "1-18-cur.034" and increment this for each build. If the
> build produces a ready-to-run tree for each target, updating to or
> testing a build is just a matter of copying the folder to <boot>:\mint
> and reboot. It will automatically be found by the loader. If it doesn't
> work you can simply delete it or choose a previous build from the loader
> menu.

hmm.. that may be easy enough to modify kernel source (1-18-cur +
1-18-cur.???) but I think that still requires CVS to contain current
??? build number somewhere.. which is painful..

as for the other stuff, kernel an folder management, I have already
come up with a way under ARAnyM, using "ln -s" on both
"C:\mint\mint.prg" and "C:\mint\1-18-cur" and placing the actual
folders not in "C:\mint" where I was keeping them before. (btw same
technique works well with TOS/EmuTOS - both these scripts can be run
inside mint, then reboot)

It is a bit trickier to do this under EasyMint because it uses TOS/FAT
boot drive and auto folder, but if I can get that to work, then it
will work on non-ARAnyM platforms too..

after that it is just a matter of figuring a non-bash way to do the
same (for non-ARAnyM platform).. hmm might work if boot loader can set
SYSDIR when specific MINT.PRG is loaded.. we will see..

Paul