Re: [MiNT] XaAES multi-language help needed

On Tue, Jan 11, 2011 at 4:23 AM, Christos Tziotzis <ctziotzis@gmail.com> wrote:

> 2011/1/10 Helmut Karlowski <helmut.karlowski@ish.de>
>>
>> Christos Tziotzis wrote:
>>
>> >  I will also request a small addition for XaAES. A ctrl+alt combination
>> > for
>> > calling swkbd if that's possible (in the same way that xaaessnap works).
>>
>> You mean an alert should pop up and ask for a specific keytable?
>>
>> What if Ctrl-Alt could be configured like:
>>
>> C-A-U="run someapp with args"
>> C-A-Z="run anotherapp with args"
>>
>> or similar?
>>
>> But you could also easily switch tables from a shell.
>>
>> -Helmut
>>

> Indeed the C-A-U run someapp with args is a good idea as long as it can be
> predefined in perhaps the XaAES.cnf. Imagine the situation where you write
> text in a word processor where you need to switch between english and the
> non latin language every 5-10 words. My solution was to have teradesk do it
> with a shift +fX shortcut which was tedious to say the least. Move the mouse
> to teradesk, use the keypress, go back to word processor. Ideally a keyboard
> language indicator could be placed somewhere in the upper bar.
> The way I am imagining is C-A-U calls swkbd greek.tbl and C-A-Z swkbd
> english.tbl . The best possible solution though would have been if the same
> keypress toggled through the available tables. Most of us would have 2-3 at
> most.
>
> @Jo Even, great, already made one without deadkeys using your program.
>
> At the moment I am looking at converting the deja vu fonts to fnt's using
> ttf2gdos. Hopefully that will work.
>
> Regards
> Christos

you might have to pre-script the keytable change if you are to cycle
though them from a single key, but it should not be too differcult to
create such a script that others could also use

re: the indicator, as long as there is a standard way to check for
current language setting, after keytable change (like an environment
variable), then you might ask Jo Even to add that to Taskbar as an
output option next to the time.

if it were as simple as an environment variable, or even a path to a
file that record the change, the a simple tsr could give you an
indicator in the menubar, however it may have to have positioning
options in case you also run a clock, or drive light

Still, things are coming along, and I look forward to doing strange
things with keytables, languages and standard fonts some time in the
future..

Paul