Re: [MiNT] Samba client

Peter Slegg wrote:
On Wed, 1 Sep 2010 12:16:41 , Paul Wratt <paul.wratt@gmail.com> wrote:
On Wed, Sep 1, 2010 at 7:58 AM, m0n0 <ole@monochrom.net> wrote:
Am Dienstag, den 31.08.2010, 21:53 +0200 schrieb Peter Slegg

localhost is in there but defining another static host wouldn't help
samba when dhcp is active would it ?
At least it can help when getting messages like "host not found".

There should be a standard way to resolve your machines hostname to a
dynamic ip (generated by dhcp). I cant think what it is atm

Ole was right about your rtk0 hostname issue. Remember the rtk0 is the
interface name, to which an IP address (an therefore a hostname) is
bound..

Yes, I don't know why smb is using the ip name instead of the hostname.
I wondered if it should be read as <hostname>.<iface>

Samba is usually set up to query names using WINS rather than by using
the local system to find the IP address of a hostname through
gethostbyname.  This can be a big issue for Linux users, I wonder if
it's a similar issue we're having with MiNT?  I am on my way to setting
up for DHCP and Samba, so I'm suddenly quite interested in all this...

--
 -- zoe