Re: [MiNT] EasyMiNT / Aranym issues?

On Fri, Jun 11, 2010 at 8:45 AM, Eero Tamminen <oak@helsinkinet.fi> wrote:
> Hi,
> On Thursday 10 June 2010, Helmut Karlowski wrote:
>> Am 09.06.2010, 22:35 Uhr, schrieb Eero Tamminen <oak@helsinkinet.fi>:
>> > Using "aes" to start XaAES & Teradesk, I can use "vi" in TosWin2, but
>> > its output is almost non-readable (there are vertical lines and every
>> > other
>> > character is a black box) and cursor moves strangely.  Qed work and
>> > looks perfect though.
>>
>> This sounds as if there would be no fvdi.
>
> Right, no fVDI cookie.  Easymint didn't seem to have set it to run at
> bootup, maybe as I selected "init" boot instead of "gem" one in easymint
> GUI.
>
> After adding fvdi to mint.cnf, Toswin2 works fine.  Thanks!
>
> But it's now in color. How do I select with fVDI a monochrome mode?
> (to verify the issue was with EmuTOS VDI instead of monchrome)

It should give you black and white output if the console is "tw52"

>.. snip ..
>
> The reason why I need to use both is that while AFROS sets up nicer and more
> upto date MiNT stuff, it's lacking Bash with command line editing, all unix
> tools and RPM.

I ended up grabbing the bash binary from that 3D AFROS/ARAnyM build
that is dated about 2003. It should be available in SVN of the
AFROS-update project on SF. It is fully featured, but is therefore
much fatter that the one on AFROS 8.12 LiveCD

> I haven't yet decided whether I move the AFROS stuff to my new easymint
> setup (which runs from HD images), or to move easymint stuff to AFROS
> (which works from hostfs which makes many things easier).

My experience (confirmed by others comments) is that a combo is needed
if you want to compile. I have a small MINIX partition that I copy
source folders to before making a compile

Part of what I am trying to achieve is a "nice" standard AFROS install
that does allow compiling and use of RPM. There may be a way RPM can
work with a MINIX or EXT2 partition combined with hostfs folders. Note
that on linux there does not seem to be as many FS restrictions as
there are when using hostfs on windows

This will just need more testing

>        - Eero

Cheers