Re: [MiNT] EasyMiNT / Aranym issues?

Hi,

On Thursday 10 June 2010, Miro Kropacek wrote:
> > Otherwise everything seems to be working fine, but:
> > * less crashes easily
> > * screen editors (like vi) don't work, they don't show any or most
> >  of the lines in the files.

This happens usually after vi gets confused about cursor movements.
Down works, up/left/right don't.

Additionally, "reset" doesn't restore cursor after "vi" crashes.
Any idea whether there's a working version of "reset" somewhere?

> So you run it from that console, right? Well, this isn't very reliable
> from my experience -- it uses "native" terminal emulator, i.e. it
> lacks many features of "normal" terminal like colors for example.

I've used less and different console editors (mutt editor, emacs) under MiNT
on ST and they've worked fine.  That was well over decade ago though (and
I've lost my MiNT setup a long time ago in HD crash), has something broken
in the meanwhile in packages included to easy/sparemint...?

> And 'less' is broken in all cases, you have to use 'more' instead (yes,
> even in toswin).

"more" seems to work fine, but I'd like to have a working less,
it's nice to be able to go back in text too. :-)

"man" depends on "less", so I cannot uninstall it.  Paging man output with
less works fine when paging forward, trying to page backwards ("b") first
messed up the screen and then gave bus error.

If the terminal emulator works correctly, easymint/sparemint terminfo
terminal descriptions are correct and less is compiled with a working
(n)curses version, I don't see why it wouldn't work properly...?

Any idea which of the above is broken with less?

Any idea why sparemint site lists a newer "less" than it actually has:
  http://www.atariforge.net/sparemint/html/packages/less.html
  http://www.atariforge.net/sparemint/RPMS/m68kmint/

The page lists v381-1, download dir has only v376-1 (which is
the broken version easymint provided).

"nano" editor seems to work OK.

On Thursday 10 June 2010, Helmut Karlowski wrote:
> Am 09.06.2010, 22:35 Uhr, schrieb Eero Tamminen <oak@helsinkinet.fi>:
> > Using "aes" to start XaAES & Teradesk, I can use "vi" in TosWin2, but
> > its output is almost non-readable (there are vertical lines and every
> > other
> > character is a black box) and cursor moves strangely.  Qed work and
> > looks perfect though.
>
> This sounds as if there would be no fvdi.

Right, no fVDI cookie.  Easymint didn't seem to have set it to run at
bootup, maybe as I selected "init" boot instead of "gem" one in easymint
GUI.

After adding fvdi to mint.cnf, Toswin2 works fine.  Thanks!

But it's now in color. How do I select with fVDI a monochrome mode?
(to verify the issue was with EmuTOS VDI instead of monchrome)

> Unfortunately toswin-output is scrambled using the emutos-vdi.

I was using latest EmuTOS.  Is this issue known by EmuTOS developers?

Only things I saw in emutos todo.txt/bugs.txt related to VDI were:
- The linemask for dashed lines is not calculated correct, depending on
  the internal calculations of increase in x direction, like in original
  TOS.
- vs_color and vq_color don't work with TT shifter and Falcon Videl yet.

I don't see how either of these could affect the output like I saw.

> > But when its config file uses "Bootstrap = system/mint.prg" option,
> > MiNT doesn't seem to respect my mint.cnf changes (to the
> > drive_c/mint/1-17-cur/mint.cnf file).  How I can give MiNT config
> > options

Ahem, that was actually "a stupid user error".  I hadn't corrected the drive
character when uncommenting "sln" line in mint.cnf.

> BTW: There exists an aranym-mailing-list ;)

I though my issues were more MiNT newbie than Aranym newbie stuff. :-)

I've used MiNT extensively, but it was over a ten years ago.  I'm now trying
to cobble together a reasonable work environment together from EasyMiNT
and latest AFROS for:
* Getting a reasonable MiNT environment I can use for testing Hatari
  MiNT support.  With Aranym NatFeats for hostfs that is easier.  Once
  it's "ready", I can also compare MiNT issues between Aranym and Hatari.
* Setting up an up to date build & test environment for my old MiNT
  stuff[1] and maybe doing some test binaries to check things that
  are broken.

The reason why I need to use both is that while AFROS sets up nicer and more
upto date MiNT stuff, it's lacking Bash with command line editing, all unix
tools and RPM.

I haven't yet decided whether I move the AFROS stuff to my new easymint
setup (which runs from HD images), or to move easymint stuff to AFROS
(which works from hostfs which makes many things easier).

	- Eero

[1] Mainly this: http://koti.mbnet.fi/tammat/open.shtml#wws