Re: [MiNT] LDG vs. SLB vs. custom OVL-thingies

From: "Paul Wratt" <paul.wratt@gmail.com>
Sent: Wednesday, February 03, 2010 1:04 PM
To: "mint" <mint@lists.fishpool.fi>
Subject: Re: [MiNT] LDG vs. SLB vs. custom OVL-thingies

even with MMU and VMM, there is still a requirement to collect and
defragment free memory (also known as garbage collection)

To me, garbage collection means something else. A virtual machine or a runtime-library that frees unreferenced resources at regular intervals.

Free memory is not defragmented. In an OS without virtual memory, free memory just gets more and more fragmented over time. With virtual memory fragmentation doesn't exist (except the fragmentation that happens internally to the process' own heap). A continuous memory space is created using the MMU, pointing to free blocks of physical RAM. The order of free blocks is irrelevant, the virtual memory is always continuous.

The idea of a server is fine, but it can not be the only solution, at
the moment anyway, that may change after everyones hardware is dead..
in the meantime you should suggest an suitable solution, created and
used in such a way as to allow a server to replace it later, should it
be better suited for a particular setup

Why would there be a need for a server for this? I don't understand the purpose of this.

Jo Even

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4831 (20100203) __________

http://www.eset.com