[MiNT] LDG vs. SLB vs. custom OVL-thingies

Hi,

What are the pro's and cons of LDGs, SLBs and custom overlays (as used by Highwire, CAB, aICQ and others).

My personal impressions:
 - SLB's are supported by the OS (MagiC, FreeMiNT and TOS w. BetaDOS) - yet noone seems to want to use them nowadays.
 - LDG's are not supported by the OS (in fact it seems most apps that use them will crash if memory protection is enabled??)
 - Custom OVLs - I have some personal experience with them since writing the GIFOVL to AtarICQ. It seems to work, but it makes me feel dirty inside.

So, are people using LDGs in favour of SLB? If this is the case, would it be beneficial to have support for this in the OS?
And the LDG + memory protection issue - why is this?

best regards

-- PeP