Re: [MiNT] Gentoo FreeMiNT (off topic)

Paul Wratt wrote:

> if there was a place those could be placed within reach on mint
> development, then that would the better option, but there is not, and
> there seems to be no inclination to provide one, why?

If you're talking about SLB documentation then only the
slbopen()/slbclose()-calls are documented in the current docs in
FreeMiNT. There are no docs on how to create a shared library. There are
also other aspects of MiNT that isn't documented, like the socket-stuff.
 So updating the programming docs is definitely something that needs to
be done.

> it would also provide for the kernel itself to be open up to public
> scrutiny, or for clear outline of future addition to be layed out in
> plain text format or even at abstracted code level
>
> That in itself would help kernel developers, who are other wise
> preoccupied actually coding in fixes and change or commiting updates

I'm not sure what you mean here, but if you mean that the design and
structure of the code should be better documented, then I agree. As it
is now, it's difficult for a someone not familiar to the code to get
started. But as we all know, programmers don't like to document ;-) My
own projects are very poorly documented, so I won't ask other
programmers to do so either.

> as for the SBL and OVL programming docs, where did you get them?

OVL is not a standard form of overlay, it's just a common suffix to use
on loadable modules of various sorts. SLB programming docs can be found
in tos.hyp (broken links in the version currently on toshyp.atari.org,
but it's OK on a slightly older HYP-version I have on my Milan) and in
the MagiC programming docs.

Jo Even