Re: [MiNT] Gentoo FreeMiNT (off topic)

On Wed, Feb 3, 2010 at 3:31 PM, Jo Even Skarstein <joska@online.no> wrote:

>> it would also provide for the kernel itself to be open up to public
>> scrutiny, or for clear outline of future addition to be layed out in
>> plain text format or even at abstracted code level
>>
>> That in itself would help kernel developers, who are other wise
>> preoccupied actually coding in fixes and change or commiting updates
>
> I'm not sure what you mean here, but if you mean that the design and
> structure of the code should be better documented, then I agree. As it

yes, but more so that others who do not have "understand the kernel by
reading the code" knowledge, can gain a visual understanding, so that
the development of parts currently not included can begin, proceeding
to a clear outline as to what code is required.

> is now, it's difficult for a someone not familiar to the code to get started

This sort of open format would allow many other previously not
experienced with kernel development, to contribute chunks, to the
point where either a branch can be used by current kernel developer to
commit actual code

at the moment the current process is, do this first, do that later,
then discuss other topics

This approach works well for single individuals, but the current load
of "do this first" is so large that "then discuss other topics" may
not happen for years. It does not matter if it takes years for the
code to appear, the fact that contributions would have already been
nutted out to the point where code in the repo is the next step (per
topic)

> Jo Even

I have broken up my reply to make it more palletable, and easier to reply to

Paul