Re: [MiNT] Greek keyboard table

On Wed, Dec 9, 2009 at 6:36 AM, Eero Tamminen <oak@helsinkinet.fi> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Tuesday 08 December 2009, Paul Wratt wrote:
>> there are (TTF) fonts that are GNU, presuming FreeMiNT is also GPL
>> compliant. if not, now is a good time to formalize "compaibity" with
>> other (open source) licencing, to simplify future additions of
>> non-specific content (which there will be)
>
> I think X BFD (i.e. non-vector) fonts would be a better starting point.
>
> Freely available TTF fonts aren't very likely to be well hinted for
> smaller character sizes.

there are some TTF fonts specifically designed for screen output, at
low point (not including Tahoma), some are open source, there will be
at least a couple that fit the bill. I suggested TTF because fVDI can
load them.

I think (in my many travels) that in using any non-8bit font, there
are "transaltions" for these, that map ASCII to unicode for example, I
know I have seen this, but it may have been when I was looking through
linux's fontserver. I am not sure how or if it is possible with
current MiNT setups, but is a "standard" could be added to fVDI, or a
custom "language-map.sys" driver for fVDI (if it works that way), then
this may be worth looking into

Otherwise, compiling a set of fonts would be of benefit, just remember
font types like TTF (and other vector based fonts) are more usable in
more instances.

BTW, the liscencing of Speedo fonts in NVDI may be up, but I also
thing that Speedo fonts in general are now up for grabs, at least
those owned by Speedo makers/creators, from memory they have moved
onto bigger and better things, if I remember rightly, there are some
websites with this info somewhere, and it coincided with licencing
expirations..

Paul