Re: [MiNT] GCC 4.4.2 and binutils 2.20

Hi Vincent

You say that the cross-compiler must be installed into the directory /usr/local/cross-mint

Then you propose to unpack the packages with:
tar xvzf FILENAME --directory /usr/local

This is correct for binutils, mintbin and gcc.
But in your library archives (mintlib, pml, gemlib), you didn't include the "cross-mint" directory, so I guess they should be extracted with:
tar xvzf FILENAME --directory /usr/local/cross-mint

Yes, this is correct. By mistake these library archives did not include the cross-mint directory. I fixed this now by repackaging them.

I also found something strange in your binutils archive. Inside the "man1" directory, there are small files beginning with "." with the same names as the gzipped man mages. By looking at their contents, it seems that it is the "Launch Services File Quarantine" feature of Leopard.

Yes, you are right here too. I forgot to remove the "downloaded flag" of the packages when building the cross-compiler on my Intel Mac. I already did this on my PowerPC Mac therefore, those packages were not affected by this problem.

Anyway, these are really minor issues.

Because the build process is not yet sufficiently automated and I have to build the same stuff on two computers to get the Intel and PowerPC binaries, it's possible that some small errors slip in. I really did the same stuff now for the last couple of days... I will have to try to make a nice Makefile. :-)

Thank you for spreading the cross-compiler !

Thank you for doing such great work to maintain the patches and fix the bugs!

Some people answered with "Mac OS X" to my recent poll, they should be happy with your binaries :-)

As a Mac user you would probably not be that happy. You still have to use the terminal for installation and usage. After automating the build, I will look again into a better Xcode IDE integration, provide a new project template and create an installation package which can be double-clicked to start the installation wizard.

Regards
Philipp