Re: [MiNT] SV: SV: SV: OT Highwire

Jo Even Skarstein wrote:
From: Petr Stehlik [pstehlik@sophics.cz]
Sent: 2008-11-13 10:01:33 CET
To: mint@lists.fishpool.fi
Subject: Re: [MiNT] SV: SV: OT Highwire

Anyway, Dillo was just an idea of a real small and lightweight browser.

Dillo is small and lightweight, but it's also more limited than HighWire (no CSS and no frames/iframes). If we want to spend efforts on porting a web browser it should atleast have some advantages over the stuff we already have.

Webkit would be much better rendering engine to start with. And you
could even write the UI around it in pure AES ;-) I am just trying to be
realistic here, given the available manpower and CPU horsepower...

How realistic is it to port WebKit or Gecko to MiNT? I wouldn't mind writing the GUI for a web-browser if we have a good rendering engine available.

Jo Even
Really slow. I mean I've seen gecko running on my zaurus which is Xscale PXA270 which I am pretty sure is roughly 2-3 times as fast as an 060 and it's pretty agonizingly slow. If we were to do it, we would have to trim a lot of functionality I'd think. But on there you can use netfront or opera mini, both of which are very fast but both are closed source.

Firefox and the likes proves there's room for optimization but that would be a real bear of a project.

We could probably take a lot of direction from the epiphany project which is a gnome browser using gecko.

I highly recommend porting gtk/gdk to aes/vdi. We really open a lot of doors with one small amount of code.

Thanks,
Mark