Re: [MiNT] Gentoo/FreeMiNT

Hi,

On Monday 03 November 2008, Alan Hourihane wrote:
> > I can understand that but wanted to say the above anyway - there are
> > couple of great guys (Stephen, Geert, Roman, Michael and few others)
> > organized in Debian-m68k mailing list that use their Atari and ARAnyM
> > computers to try keeping Debian m68k alive. They are solving similar
> > problems in the toolchain to those that Alan, Miro or Vincent report
> > here. It would make sense to share the knowhow and help each other...
>
> There may be some minor overlap with the toolchain stuff, but the rest
> is not common at all.
>
> Linux has ELF, shared libraries, glibc and a different kernel.
>
> FreeMiNT doesn't have ELF, no shared libraries, mintlib and a different
> kernel.

Well, actually Debian is used with different kernels like Solaris, GNU Hurd
(microkernel) and BSD, not just Linux:
	http://www.nexenta.org/os
	http://www.debian.org/ports/index#nonlinux

I also wouldn't discount the stuff that's put into m68k port:
	http://www.debian.org/ports/m68k/

I think there are patches also to other m68k things than just toolchain and
you may not get them with distros that aren't tested on or don't at least in
some way support m68k.

	- Eero