Re: [MiNT] Gentoo/FreeMiNT

On Mon, 2008-11-03 at 11:05 +0100, Petr Stehlik wrote:
> Miro Kropacek píše v Po 03. 11. 2008 v 10:49 +0100:
>
> > And the last note: do you think using gentoo is the best choice? I
> > mean, surely most of Atari users would be happy to compile (in case
> > they even want to compile anything) stuff via cross compiler so in my
> > eyes something like CLFS (cross linux from scratch) or systems with
> > support for more architectures (opensuse for example)
>
> Definitely go for opensuse... I'll go for Debian then. Hopefully
> somebody else will then come up with Ubuntu etc.
>
> I believe we can easily reach the moment when each MiNT user gets their
> own unique distro.
>
> Petr
>
> P.S. frankly, why gentoo when there was sparemint? Note that I don't
> like either of it as I am Debian positive (for good reasons) - I am just
> real curious why this "distro split" come to our 10-users world...

I expected some would not be happy with my choice, but I'm not happy
with RPM's either. They can be complicated beasts in my eyes to
maintain, whereas for me, Gentoo's ebuilds are very easy to update.

The real problem is maintaining things, and from what I can see, very
few people are really updating RPMs and creating new ones with all the
dependencies they have.

But it is all a matter of personal taste though.

Alan.