Re: [MiNT] Some mintlib patches

Hi,

here are is a patch for mintlib configuration I use, I think it's useful
for others, too:

- set premilitary stack to 64KB (instead of 1K) which makes gcc linking
happy again

I'd really like to know what the real problem is here, this just seems
like another bandage for a real problem.

For me I've actually reverted your original patch to crt0.S and I don't
see a problem. So it'd be worth finding out if you reverted the file
back to the original and find out why gcc is crashing (if it really
still does).

Oh, and if the problem is 100% reproducible, can you outline the exact
steps you take to replication so others can take a look ?

Hello Alan,

I believe the main problem is that during the bootstrap process of GCC natively, the stack of the newly created compiler is not set properly in a fashion for it to run the whole way thru (stage 2), so the stack size is not enough on cc1. If you modify the stack size after the crash, GCC will in turn relink the cc1 executable, and then crash again. So, I believe this was Miro's solution to that.

My solution was to modify the stack size while the process was still running. This is only a problem in the bootstrap process as far as I know and it could possibly be a problem with compiled programs that depend on building little pieces of software to generate source files.

Keith