Re: [MiNT] wind_set(WF_TOPMOST)

Hello,

First, I don't think the TOPMOST feature described by Olivier needs a control by
the AES (to authorise or not this feature).

There is a major restriction for TOPMOST windows: they don't give the focus to
the application. So, i'm sure standard applications won't use TOPMOST windows in
place of standard windows. In other words, TOPMOST windows will only be used
when applications really need TOPMOST windows (very particular and rare uses).

Second, i don't think this is a feature related to system-application vs
not-system-application.

For example, the "list of task" window of a task manager may use a TOPMOST
window, but other windows of a task manager (for example the "about..." window,
or the "config" window) should not be a TOPMOST window.

Another example: a great ;) application like teatime may use TOPMOST window.
First, teatime open a standard window, here you choose your kind of tea ("green
tea / 3mn" for example), and hit the "GO" button. Teatime then starts a 3mn
countdown, and when the countdown reaches 0 (tea is ready), i'd like teatime to
display a TOPMOST window with the message "your tea is ready" inside. This
window will be automatically closed by teatime after some seconds (without any
action of the user), or when the user click in this window.

For that example, the TOPMOST window is the best choice, because if you are
editing some text in QED for example, when teatime opens its TOPMOST window,
the focus stays on QED, and you may keep typing your text without any trouble.
A standard window doesn't fit to this need (QED lost the focus). A form_alert
doesn't fit to this need (QED lost the focus).

And as a user, i don't want the AES to ask me if teatime may open a TOPMOST
window when teatime opens its TOPMOST window, because QED will lost the focus
which is exactly what i don't want... and i don't want to put all the
applications that may use TOPMOST windows in aes.cnf file (that doesn't make
sense to put there *all* my applications).

To sum up, the TOPMOST feature should not be reserved to system applications
(this is not the right criteria), and i don't think we need to limit the usage
of TOPMOST windows because there is a major restriction (don't give the focus)
that guaranties that developpers won't use TOPMOST windows in place of standard
windows. TOPMOST window are not "super" windows, it's just another kind of
windows.

Just my 2 cents...

best regards,
Arnaud.