Re: [MiNT] Calling gemdos function from Interruption

Odd Skancke wrote:

tir, 11,.10.2005 kl. 09.04 +0200, skrev Olivier Landemarre:
Odd Skancke wrote:

man, 10,.10.2005 kl. 22.41 +0200, skrev olivier.landemarre@utbm.fr:

What gemdos functions do you need to call from an interrupt?
I thought to Kbshift() and Pkill()

There is Ikill() which is interrupt safe .. designed to be called from
interrupts :)
Ok, if I know this in past probably I not change my design for process managment that I have write when I tested on Magic.

For kbd shiftstatus, I'm not sure what is the best way. In
XaAES I call the VDI function v_key_s().
And perhaps VDI call Kbshift() so no real way, this is not very important in fact, just first try I do in past was I call Kbshift() I thougth it was more logical, but human is very slow compare to computer, we can accept delay beetween click operation and status key read, to put answer to client. This is not a problem in fact.

<SNIP>

So, even if some gemdos functions are callable from interrupts, I think
it is a big no-no and should be avoided at all costs. The reason for
MagiC not being too stable, I think, is that such things are allowed.

Really are you sure? This theorical true, but in practice there is no sofware doing this except perhaps the AES.

No, I'm not sure :) I was jumping to conclusions since I've heard that
programmers dont like MiNT because of too much restrictions...

I am not against some restriction, if someone can explain me. Probably I will be more happy if Mint said me that it was not a permit operation than crash as it can do with this sort of operation, but perhaps it's not possible to do.

Best Regards,
Odd Skancke

Thanks
Olivier