Re: [MiNT] Calling gemdos function from Interruption

Odd Skancke wrote:

man, 10,.10.2005 kl. 22.41 +0200, skrev olivier.landemarre@utbm.fr:
Hello

In the past we have already talk about calling gemdos from an interrupt (for
example mouse), at this moment it was not possible without crash.
Some weeks ago I have talk about this with Ingo and he said me that now it work.
So my question is, is it really now possible? How can I know if Mint version use
is compatible with this?

What gemdos functions do you need to call from an interrupt?
I thought to Kbshift() and Pkill()

Calling
gemdos from an interrupt should not be done, since gemdos functions are
'context-dependant'. That means the OS needs to know which process is
calling it, which is not the case with interrupts.
Ok I understand

There is no telling
which process is the running one when the interrupt fires. For OS
things, like I do in XaAES, you can use client events which the
interrupt posts to the clients. This will remove all problems, and you
can control which process should get the event.
Yes I do the same in MyAeS, I was sure it wasn't possible or not recommand, but Ingo said this and I was not sure of my answer. Thanks.

In XaAES a mouse
interrupt sets a roottimeout, which again figures out which client
should get the mouse event, and then the relevant 'client event' is
posted to that client. You can also post signals to processes to make
them aware of the interrupt .. not sure how or which signal to use, but
I know it is perfectly possible.
Ok it was only for my information

So, even if some gemdos functions are callable from interrupts, I think
it is a big no-no and should be avoided at all costs. The reason for
MagiC not being too stable, I think, is that such things are allowed.
Really are you sure? This theorical true, but in practice there is no sofware doing this except perhaps the AES.

Olivier

Best Regards,
Odd Skancke