[MiNT] max. partition size in FreeMint 1.15.x

Hi again,

thank you for replying so fast.

> That's not really true. Under Win2000/XP you can't create a FAT32
> partition greater than 32GB with the Win2000/XP gui tools.
> This is just a limitation in the gui creation tool. If you have
> such a partition or create it with a third-party tool it just work.

Thank you for pointing that out.

> But it's a good limitation. As bigger a FAT32 partition is, as
> slower it is (and it's not linear slower, it's much more worse).

I see. I already recognized that with my setup (max. FAT32 partitions
are 4GB but ext2 partitions of that size are definitely faster).

> Btw. ext2 don't have such a performance problem.

Unfortunately not every program does support ext2 correctly. The main
problem is that ext2 is case sensitive. Although I appreciate that some
(older) programs refuse to work.

> The theoretical limit is around 16TB for FAT32 and ext2.
> Take a look into the limits.txt in the FreeMiNT documentation.

Why is there a difference between MiNT and Windows? I mean, I like to
see that MiNT is capable of doing more (like always) than Windows but
what is the reason?

Hmm, yesterday I had some serious problems accessing Fat32 partitions
that were created with windows but today I will give it another try. I
reformatted the disk but the sector test is still running :-) When it is
finished I will partition the drive with HD-Driver and keep you
informed.

Anyone knows whether there is a limitation of 128GB for hard disks in a
Falcon or not?

That's what the docs says about max. size

-------------------------------snip------------------------------

NEWFATFS
--------
(completly new written FAT filesystemdriver, support FAT/VFAT/FAT32;
TOS, DOS and Windows compatible)

maximum partition size
                 FAT16 : 2 GB               tested:  2 GB
                 FAT32 : > 16 TB            tested: 10 GB
maximum file size      : 2 GB               tested:  2 GB
block size             : 512 byte - 32 kb   tested: 512 byte - 32 kb

physical blocksize must be smaller or
equal to logical blocksize                : yes

tested with physical blocksize > 512 byte : not yet tested

MinixFS
-------
(Unix filesystem; Minix compatible)

maximum partition size : 2 GB               tested:  2 GB
maximum file size      : 2 GB               tested:  1 GB
block size             : 1 kb               tested:  1 kb

physical blocksize must be smaller or
equal to logical blocksize                : yes

tested with physical blocksize > 512 byte : not supported

Ext2FS
------
(Unix Filesystem; Linux ext2 compatible)

maximum partition size : > 16 TB            tested: 10 GB
maximum file size      : 2 GB               tested:  2 GB
block size             : 1, 2, 4 kb         tested: 1, 2, 4 kb

physical blocksize must be smaller or
equal to logical blocksize                : yes

tested with physical blocksize > 512 byte : not yet tested

Regards,

Frank