Re: [MiNT] ssh or telnet with zmodem

----- Original Message ----- From: "Ronald J. Hall" <dark_lord@charter.net>
To: "Brian Roland" <bjr@localink4.com>
Sent: Thursday, June 30, 2005 11:26 AM
Subject: Re: [MiNT] ssh or telnet with zmodem

On Thursday 30 June 2005 12:12 pm, Brian Roland wrote:

Zmodem can indeed be configured to work over a telnet connection.

Brian

I'd love to have details on this. :-)

I wish I knew them to give you...It's been a long time. I'd have to dig in the man pages myself. Zmodem, if both ends are truly following the standards, is supposed to be smart enough via series of handshaking to figure out what it needs do to get a successful transfer. In the event it doesn't...there are flags to set your recieving end accordingly...I.E. 7 bit, No Parity, 1 stop bit, free baud rate, etc.

I truly don't recall what settings a telnet connection considers proper...it's been soooooo long since I've read anything about it...but for some reason I'm wanting to think 7,1,Free (bit, parity, baud). Also, it's not a bad idea to use the binary flag when launching rz. Something like > rz -b new-filename-optional

Ya might give this a try just to see what happens...
logon to your mint setup as root or super-user.
telnet into the bbs, take note of the pty or tty it creates in /dev/
Initiate the download.
Now either use your shell key command (I have no idea what it would be...study the man to your favorite shell.) to put telent in the background, then try piping that pty into rz.

This is essentially what a zTelnet client does I'm guessing. Likely even uses a call to an already installed rz/sz or various module.o calls from the preexisting rz/sz libraries.

Brian