Re: [MiNT] MiNT system directory

On Tuesday 14 of September 2004 00:41, you wrote:

Hi,

> > - Do you plan somethink like EXTRAVERSION in Linux for those who test
> > kernel intensively? This would solve the cur "problem". One could then
> > build 1.16.1BM with 1-16-1BM system dir etc.
>
> Yes, this can be done. It's just a macro in buildinfo/version.h that need
> to be modified.

Great.

> > - Could 1.16.x search modules, mint.cnf etc. also in the directory it was
> > launched from? As I understand the 1.16 readme, this behaviour was
> > removed. But it would be useful for applications based on MiNT but
> > started from TOS (GEM) after boot (e.g. MiNT installers).
>
> For this I have the idea in mind to pass the sysdir on commandline.

Interesting. But will it solve the problem of starting kernel from arbitrary
directory on arbitrary drive without the need to specify it on commandline?
Let's say I want to launch /d/dist/osmd/kernel.prg (which is of course
mint.prg), but do not want to use modules from /c/mint/(1-16-*) because I
have my own in /d/dist/osmd/, which could easily
become /e/osmd/, /g/betatest/osmd/, /a/ or whatever.

Regards,

Bohdan