Re: [MiNT] MiNT, CT60 and power off

Hi Draco,

I don't want to have an argument with you, far from me ! But :

Konrad Kokoszkiewicz wrote:
1) Disk caches are built-in from 1.15.0 onwards, IIRC.

Well, but I had problems with 1.16.0alpha that is downloadable
from you site. Not with the previous versions. Cache were cancelable,
it is not anymore. When I talked with you, you sent me your shutdown
program that allow me to halt the 68060, instead of rebooting. That
prevents from data corruption. Since then I use it, but with 1.15.12
kernel.

My problem is not only due to the shutdown of the Hades, but
I'm a programmer and I make various tests. The faintest
problem with programs, that causes a reset, can lead to a disk
crash. File check at booting is not a real progress. Cancel
the file system cache is a much better solution in my case.

2) No disk caches are effective for TOSFS.

So, it must have changed meanwhile. It is you that told me
that there was a cache on TOSFS, and that it was the only
difference between previous kernels. You told me to use
shutdown program, instead of powering down my Hades 060.

3) Filesystem drivers and block cache in 1.16.0 are (IIRC) exactly the same
as in 1.15.12.

How do you explain that I had no problems with 1.15.12, apart
that there is a non cancelable cache with TOSFS in the alpha
versions ? Should I test a more recent kernel (I won't) ?

4) Please stop talking crap.

Well, since I made up my mind with your explanations, it's not
me that make troubles about this. You may understand that I
became very cautious with the recent kernels ! And that I
don't like disk cache, even if it is faster ...

Regards,

-- Dr. François LE COAT
Author of Eureka 2.12 (2D Graph Describer, 3D Modeller)
http://eureka.atari.org