Re: [MiNT] This fight

Hello!

> > Ah, so instead writing FreeMiNT drivers you want to write TSR (ok, I know
> > you want to support TOS and MagiC). From my FreeMiNT side it's not in my
> > scope to add support for TSR drivers.
>
> You didn't understand me.

Yes, I already noticed this ;-)

> Actually it was exactly about the opposite - about fixing TSRs to cope
> with MiNT

The only way of fixing I can imagine is to rewrite them as modules.

> > But you don't want to abstract and generalize this stuff into the
> > operating system so that all users can profit of them.
>
> How could this be generalized in the kernel?

I don't know and I can't discuss as you still don't mentioned any detail
about the extensions you refer too.

> NatFeat covers all possible extensions at once.

Ok, so instead developing the right OS parts (GEMDOS/VDI/AES) you just
want to invent a big jump table of loosely sorted and coupled extensions
and features.

> I thought about the platform generalization at the
> library level. Maybe I was wrong.

No problem, this is a good idea. But then I don't see your problem (except
that you want to add a hardware[1] specific system call that make only
sense under aranym).

> I am too lazy to check the MiNTlib source code to see the function
> chain. My idea was just to return "ARAnyM/iMAC" or "STonX/Oxygen"
> instead of "Falcon" or "TT".

This is not the hostname, this is the machine name.

> > you want it aranym specific there is no need to enhance or develop
> > anything on the FreeMiNT kernel or VDI/AES side.
>
> Well. It's hard to comment this for fifteenth time. I will better go
> sleep.

I'm interesting to hear why you don't want to write a /dev/aranym and use
this in your libraries. Until now you don't commented this at all. Devices
are the right way to add hardware specific thingd into the system, no need
to introduce new syscalls for special hardware features[1] ... except that
your main focus is additional support for TOS/MagiC.

[1] I see the NatFeat as special aranym feature, e.g. special aranym
(virtual) hardware feature.

Ciao
   ...Frank

--