Re: [MiNT] This fight

Hello!

> > Ok. And which functions do you like to add to the kernel?
>
> Can't we just export the NatFeat interface so that drivers can use
> whatever they need?

You confuse me. First you speak about adding syscalls, now you refering to
driver modules. This are completly independant things.

> > Now, this doesn't make sense. An ioctl always refer to an file handle.
>
> You got me, ioctl is not the right thing. Isn't there another way of
> calling the kernel API - something like syscall(SYS_NF,...)? Or perhaps
> XDD drivers can call kernel function directly without going through the
> syscalls? I don't know, I am not into the kernel.

And I still don't understand what do you want todo.

> > I didn't get your point. If someone need a MiNT function that is not
> > available under TOS/MagiC he simply can use MiNT.
>
> That's true. I never thought about it from this point of view. If
> MiNTlib no longer supports the TOS compatibility mode then linking with
> it basically creates MiNT only binaries.

I don't said this. I said MiNTLib do it's *best* to map to TOS/MagiC. But
MiNTLib can't do magic things, some things are simply not possible without
the right support of the kernel.

> > MiNTLib at least do it's
> > best to map some things to TOS/MagiC but most advanced stuff does only
> > work under FreeMiNT correctly.
>
> Is sysinfo() most advanced or not?

As I said, sysinfo() is a bad eaxmple. sysinfo() is a simple and
straightforward function and it works nice under TOS/MagiC too.

But now please explain which NatFeat feature sysinfo() requires.

> > If this is exactly what do you want, why do you need a special syscall?
> > This doesn't affect user space at all.
>
> We'd like to start _somewhere_.

You like to start but until now you are not concrete at all which
functionality you want to add to the kernel. You always speak about some
NatFeat functions.

> You (MiNT) convinced us (ARAnyM) that cookie jar is not the way to
> export NatFeats interface under MiNT. OK. Is the syscall a good way or
> not? Or is there a better way? I am just curious, no offense or
> anything.

Syscalls are the only good way. But you must speak clearly which things
you like to add, e.g. you must define the syscall and it's arguments
(API). And, my idea, this extensions should not be aranym specific but
rather generic so all users can profit from this.

Ciao
   ...Frank

--
ATARI FALCON 040 // MILAN 060