Re: [MiNT] Shutdown() discussion

On Wed, 10 Dec 2003, Standa Opichal wrote:

> Hi!
>
> On Wed, 10 Dec 2003, Odd Skancke wrote:
>
> > > Slightly, yes. But if you re-read my post (or the important bits I left
> > > quoted above) you'll get it.
> >
> >  Yes, confused in that I didnt think the kernel should copy stuff from
> > pointers it knows not what is. Unless you plan to add if (cookie.tag =
> > __NF) copy... to the kerne code. Now we're cooking, eh?
>
> MiNT can check the __NF cookie if present and valid and than it would know
> (from the cookie contents) that it needs to copy specified length of data
> from some address to it private context. As __NF cookie contents is
> specified and checked to be what it should then I see no problem. Yes, we
> would like to do the cookie.tag == __NF check and copy...

 This sounds like problems. Please do not go for this solution. I
commented on this in another posting....

> > > I think that everybody here agrees that without fast machines with
> > > plenty of RAM and disk space you cannot really develop modern
> > > application software. Take just the time needed for recompiling the
> > > whole FreeMiNT CVS tree on a Falcon or MegaSTE, for example. Since it's
> > > almost impossible to buy real TOS compatible hardware that would address
> > > todays needs (multimedia, internet) it made perfect sense to develop a
> > > virtual machine like we have done (and still are doing). The other
> > > option was to let the platform die.
> >
> >  All fine and dandy, as long as you leave the software that is to run on
> > the emulator alone, and make changes to the emulator instead of to the
> > software it should run.
>
> True, but with the exception of the OS to keep the userspace apps really
> independent IMHO.

 Yes, and there is a defined way of doing things like supporting new
'hardware'.

> > > This question (whether ARAnyM or death) we resolved three years ago and
> > > I thought everybody understood it - not necessarilly agreed with it, but
> > > I would never expect fear as a reaction in December 2003 (ten years
> > > after last Atari computer was developed and sold).
> >
> >  ARAnyM or death. Reading between the lines here, you could not care less
> > about native hardware. New hardware developments are not welcome?
> > ShockHorror, CT60 really made it! This means that plans are to make MiNT
> > more and more emulation-friendly. Can you promise me that this wont
> > happen?
>
> Who promissed you that the CT60 shutdown XBios doesn't format your HDDs?
> Simply no ARAnyM or emulator stuff should be used in userspace
> application. The OS is there to handle the machine dependent things by
> drivers (machine = CT60, ARAnyM, ... PC?).

 exactly! Keep ARAnyM specific code out of the kernel.

--
 Regards,

 Odd Skancke - ozk.atari.org - http://assemsoft.atari.org