Re: [MiNT] Shutdown() discussion

Hi!

On Wed, 10 Dec 2003, Odd Skancke wrote:

> > Slightly, yes. But if you re-read my post (or the important bits I left
> > quoted above) you'll get it.
>
>  Yes, confused in that I didnt think the kernel should copy stuff from
> pointers it knows not what is. Unless you plan to add if (cookie.tag =
> __NF) copy... to the kerne code. Now we're cooking, eh?

MiNT can check the __NF cookie if present and valid and than it would know
(from the cookie contents) that it needs to copy specified length of data
from some address to it private context. As __NF cookie contents is
specified and checked to be what it should then I see no problem. Yes, we
would like to do the cookie.tag == __NF check and copy...

> > I think that everybody here agrees that without fast machines with
> > plenty of RAM and disk space you cannot really develop modern
> > application software. Take just the time needed for recompiling the
> > whole FreeMiNT CVS tree on a Falcon or MegaSTE, for example. Since it's
> > almost impossible to buy real TOS compatible hardware that would address
> > todays needs (multimedia, internet) it made perfect sense to develop a
> > virtual machine like we have done (and still are doing). The other
> > option was to let the platform die.
>
>  All fine and dandy, as long as you leave the software that is to run on
> the emulator alone, and make changes to the emulator instead of to the
> software it should run.

True, but with the exception of the OS to keep the userspace apps really
independent IMHO.

> > This question (whether ARAnyM or death) we resolved three years ago and
> > I thought everybody understood it - not necessarilly agreed with it, but
> > I would never expect fear as a reaction in December 2003 (ten years
> > after last Atari computer was developed and sold).
>
>  ARAnyM or death. Reading between the lines here, you could not care less
> about native hardware. New hardware developments are not welcome?
> ShockHorror, CT60 really made it! This means that plans are to make MiNT
> more and more emulation-friendly. Can you promise me that this wont
> happen?

Who promissed you that the CT60 shutdown XBios doesn't format your HDDs?
Simply no ARAnyM or emulator stuff should be used in userspace
application. The OS is there to handle the machine dependent things by
drivers (machine = CT60, ARAnyM, ... PC?).

regareds

STan