Re: [MiNT] Shutdown and CT60

Hello!

> "Not maintained"? I.e. not updated, I suppose? For now I don't see what can
> be changed in it, and, since I wrote to you not so long time ago, until
> autumn I won't be able to do any serious works for MiNT (*including*
> libraries) due to lack of time. So how do you want me to "maintain" it?

You see, this very small tools are so easy to understand that only you are
capable of maintaining it (gemma slb have 126 source files).

> > it's not working due to a bug with
> > memory protection,
>
> This is not the fault of the lib, this is MiNT's fault, and this is MiNT
> which should be fixed.

And it's still not fixed (if I remember correctly you introduced this
bug).

> > it's complicated to use.
>
> ?

It's much more complex and so the failure rate is higher. To correectly
use it you need the slb, you need the right version of the slb and the slb
must be in the right place (not to speak if there are several slbs in
several places). On the other side everybody can start a simple program
and there is no error possible at all.

> > And finally it's nonsense for
> > such a very small program like shutdown.
>
> Aha, "nonsense for a small program". The program certainly will become
> "big", when you link it statically.

What do you understand under 'big'? It don't matter at all if a tool like
shutdown that you only run if you want to reboot/halt need 20kb or 50kb
RAM. There are other things that are much more important: easy
maintaining, easy sourcecode, standard library usage (e.g. MiNTLib and
GEMLIB).

Btw. the program itself is smaller, but the slb must still be loaded. So
the general memory consumption is the same.

It's just the question what do you prefer. A static program is much more
robust as a program with slb dependency. I prefer the robustness. You want
to save some kb of the binary size. And I'm sure that a more robust
shutdown produce less questions from FreeMiNT users.

Ciao
   ...Frank

--
ATARI FALCON 040 // MILAN 060