Re: [MiNT] Security

On Sun, 10 Nov 2002, Brian J. Roland wrote:

> Here behind my firewall...I've telneted in from the windows box logging in as
> root quite a few times.

Hey, you're right! I can telnet to my Falcon and log in as root as well!
Must be since I reinstalled it with Easymint, this wasn't possible in
kgmd.

Anyone: Could it be because all the ttyp* entries are removed from
/etc/ttytab ? Because that's where you specify which tty's are "secure"
(ie should allow root logins).

I remember in kgmd, it had some outdated comments about the ttyp entries
not being any use untill someone "writes a telnet daemon for MiNT", even
though kgmd actually comes with a telnet daemon installed. This was one of
the signs that Knarf blindly copied a lot from the distribution he based
kgmd upon. :) But this might led someone to think that these entries could
be removed. Or does the login supplied with EasyMiNT no longer care about
these entries?

Maurits.

--
 |                 BassMent Productions - Freedom of creativity!|
 | Music productions - Projects - Internet presence - Webdesign |___
 |                     http://www.bassment.nu/                  |  |
                             |      http://www.muzikanten.nu/      |
                             | Het muzikantennetwerk van Nederland |