Re: [MiNT] desktop from components

On Tue, 7 May 2002, Lonny Pursell wrote:

> on 5/7/02 3:58 PM, Konrad M. Kokoszkiewicz at draco@obta.uw.edu.pl wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 7 May 2002 16:00:24 +0200, Thomas Binder wrote:
> >
> >> The problem is: How to make them faster without dropping support
> >> for machines without a PMMU?
> >
> > The answer is: drop the support! Once and forever. ST users don't use
> > MiNT anyways, they prefer MagiC because it leaves more free memory, and
> > ST can only have 4 MB.
>
> I've thought this for sometime as well.  The majority of ppl with low
> memory already use magic, that is a trend.  Why not move forward as
> other platforms do, streamline the kernal, drop really old code for really
> old cpu's.  I would think it would also make the kernal smaller and easier
> to maintain in the long run as well.

 This is as well said as it can be said. I totally agree. Even our
platform has to, at least try to, move forward. To do that, some things
must be dropped, such as 68000 support. The majority of MINT users these
days use at least a Falcon.

--
 Regards,

 Odd Skancke - ozk@atari.org - http://assemsoft.atari.org