Re: [MiNT] CPU-hogs

On Sun, 03 Feb 2002 11:59:36 +0100, Konrad M. Kokoszkiewicz wrote:

> This behaviour means that there is no preemptive multitasking - the
> MiNT scheduler does not work. In previous MiNT versions (before 1.16)
> the scheduler was hooked onto the VBL interrupt. This was changed to
> the 200Hz timer, because not every machine generates VBL (e.g. Milans
> don't) while 200 Hz timer is AFAIK, everywhere available.

This is on a Milan040, and I just tested with a 1.15.x-kernel. According
to Sysinfo this version hooks into the VBL, while the current 1.16 I'm
using (a few days old) doesn't. MiNT is the only process that hooks into
the 200MHz timer.

There was no difference between 1.15.x and 1.16.x, with both kernels
CPU-intensive tasks will lock the AES. E.g. if I unpack a large archive
with unzip, TosWin won't display anything until the entire archive is
unpacked. The same with gcc, while it compiles a file the AES is
completely locked.

I haven't had the Milan that long, and I think it has behaved like this
all the time. But on the Falcon/AB I can definitely use it while it
compiles or unpack archives.

> Just check if you don't load anything, that grabs the 200 Hz timer
> vector or resets it to default BIOS state (pointing to ROM).

I have no software that does this.

/*
** Jo Even Skarstein    http://home.nvg.org/~joska/
*/