Re: [MiNT] XaAES / GEM memory issues

Hi All,

> Also, I think I remember that in the _KBDVECS table there's entries for routines that are
> called on mouse/keyboard events. NVDI hooks them so I guess they point to the VDI.
> Which means the (N)VDI's mouse/keyboard management routines are called from within the
> interrupt handler, instead of following a Fselect on a FreeMiNT device.

The XBIOS call is definiately only used to replace the builtin TOS mouse
routines or to add rutines that want to tap information from the ACIA.
(Screen savers for instance might want that.)

The VDI is not called from these routs. It is the other way around but
that is not evident from the documentation.

NVDI might very well replace the builtin mouse routines. I don't know
that.

Besides, the mouse or keyboard routines are no problem in a multitasking
system if only you have a server or at least a layer that decides which
events should go to which process. In TOS this becomes complicated as
you can access the keyboard from both TOS, AES and VDI.

The logical way of doing this is to integrate the keyboard and mouse
handling of the VDI into the parts of the AES that handles mouse and
keyboards events and provide primitives that the TOS calls could use.

Best regards
 Sven