Re: [MiNT] timezone change

At 21:16 Uhr +0900 2000-03-27, Martin-Éric Racine wrote:
>On 2000-3-27, Stefan Berndtsson <stefan@nocrew.org> wrote:
>
>> If the RTC is set to UTC, and MiNT is running, and my
>> MiNT-system is properly configured, then when I save a file
>> and my watch says 14:54, the file will get the stamp 14:54.
>>
>> When I reboot into TOS, the RTC is still set to UTC, but TOS
>> doesn't know about my localtime-difference, and therefor,
>> when I write the file, the time will say 11:55 (takes a
>> minute to reboot, right? :)).
>
>Except, when running in TOS (or MiNT - same thing) I want my
>files to be in EEST, not UTC.
>
>Basically, UTC is a load of crap for the end-user, because
>everyone is suddenly assumed to be living in Greenwich.

Well, every file (on the whole internet) lives in Greenwich. Every
timeserver will give you UTC, nothing else. (That's why I can use my
timeserver in Germany even when I'm in Japan)

>Well, I
>don't give a damn what time it is in that tinseltown or what
>weather they have.  I live here, not there.
>
>Therefore, RTC == localtime and MiNT should live with that.

Not doing the conversion was a *bug* in TOS. The same bug exists in MS-DOS,
but *personal* computers are not meant to be networked to the rest of the
world, are thay?

BTW, all the Windows computers around me switched to DST last weekend. The
only problem ist, the is no DST in the timezone I'm in ATM. My computer
uses UTC and knows that there is no DST in Japan. When I go back to Germany
I have to reset the timezone and that's it.

Axel, living in UTC+9:00 ATM

--
Adults get far more pleasure from adultery
than children do from infancy