Re: [MiNT] broken LD

On 2000-4-6, Frank Naumann <fnaumann@freemint.de> wrote:

> > Frank, why did you not simply reply "please tell me what output you get from
> > running with -v" rather than saying basically "your bug report sucks".
>
> The first thing Martin ever say is that that and that rpm
> sucks and don't work and this and this tool is broken.

Please read my first post again.  I said something like:

"I tried copying crt0.o to all 3 possibles lib paths, but LD
still cannot find it.  I thought it might be a corrupted binary,
so I replaced the RPM, but it's still no good. What could could
cause this? Any help is welcome."

> And as we seen no rpm package, no MiNTLib and no binutils
> tool have anything todo with the problem he have.

True, but systematically replying "everything is fine here" does
not ever help anyone.  Precise instructions about outputing
whichever debug file from whichever binary does, though.

You eventually provided these instructions, but only after your
6th reply....  Why not specifically ask for what debug files you
need in your first reply, instead of always saying "it works fine
here"?  Saying "it works fine here" is totally pointless and gets
nobody any answers nor results.  Telling what people what to look
for, in the very first reply, is what should be done.

> > Martin, do you figured out the main problem until now?

It is GCC ports compiled without the correct paths or filenames.
All GCC ports should always support:

/lib /usr/lib /usr/local/lib /usr/m68k-atari-mint/lib

...for the libraries, and:

/usr/lib/gcc-lib/(version) /usr/local/lib/gcc-lib/(version)
/usr/m68k-atari-mint/lib/gcc-lib/(version)

...for specs and cpp.  Unfortunately, there are ports that use
and expect other paths, or support a few of those.

Here, what finally worked are 2.7.2.3 and 2.8.1c by Christian,
which specifically want /usr/lib/gcc-lib (neither like
/usr/local/lib/gcc-lib) and egcs 2.91.66 by Frank which wants
/usr/local/lib/gcc-lib (and does not see /usr/lib/gcc-lib).

--
Martin-Éric Racine  http://funkyware.atari.org/  Atari TT030 FAQ
Lappeenranta, Finland.  Surfing on a Intel/Microsoft-free GEM OS