[MiNT] UTF-8 support

Hello,

Just as we are trying to figure out if/how we can integrate more
ISO-8859 character-sets into MiNT applications (vcons, TosWinII,
browsers, etc.), yet another tool has upgraded default encoding:

Perl 5.6.0 uses UTF-8 by default.

http://www.perl.com/pub/2000/04/whatsnew.html

Previously, W3C upgraded their standards to specifify UTF-8 as
the default character set since HTML 4.0 and XML.

http://www.w3.org/International/O-HTML-charset.html

Next, I assume, filesystems will start to expect everything to be
in Unicode too (is it not the case with ISO-9660 CD-ROM formats?)

I recall that some basic level of Unicode translation table was
added into MiNT, but is there any interface that our consoles and
terminals or GNU ports could use?

Also, is either vcons or TosWinII being upgraded to allow
remapping the whole Atari system font into valid Unicode
entities?

--
Martin-Éric Racine  http://funkyware.atari.org/  Atari TT030 FAQ
Lappeenranta, Finland.  Surfing on a Intel/Microsoft-free GEM OS