Re: [MiNT] MiNT-Net + GEM + Newsgroups?

on Wed 19-04-2000 09:11 Maurits van de Kamp wrote:

ello Maurits,

on Wed 19-04-2000 09:11 you wrote:

>The GEM version of NOS is called ICE, but I thought NOS and ICE
>developed on independantly (I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw a new
>version of Atari NOS appear, when was it, a year ago?)

NOS is still under developement. I believe the current maintainer is an
Italian guy. AFAIK the latest version of NOS can be found on the Belgian
Atari ftp-server (internet/nos)
ICE was the brainchild of an English chap and IMHO not the same as NOS.
I've tried to use ICE (part of Oasis 2.x) but alas I never could make a
connection. However Oasis 2.x itself was reasonable usuable.
NOS was used by Oasis 1.35

>Anyway, if you would want to continue using Oasis (or any other
>mail/newsreader that works with NOS), you could replace NOS with
>Popwatch (or was it Fetchpop? I always get those two mixed up). :) The
>program I mean is able to retrieve mail (and there was also a news
>version I think) in NOS format, among others. IIRC it's for STiK but can
>be used with Gluestik. So in fact there is a NOS->MiNTnet gateway. :)

Popwatch is for send/retrieve mails. Newswatch for send/retrieve news.
Both can retrieve message in NOS, Newsie and Oasis 2 format.
These program are intend to be used with STing/STik but they do work
perfectly with MiNT-net via Gluestik.

>Then again you'd probably better stick to aMail.. you must have noticed
>by now that Oasis is terribly buggy. And to make things worse, all the
>bugs I found in Oasis 1 are still present in Oasis 2. :-)

Fully agree. Just remember that Amail can't send News for the moment.

He could give Okami 2.1B-12 a try. It's a lovely program. Beeing an offliner
you need ofcourse Popwatch/Newswatch.

HTH
Martin

--
             *****Greetings from Okami Newsreader*****
             ** On the seventh day He created Atari **