Re: [MiNT] virtual memory

On Thu, Apr 27, 2000 at 09:49:01AM +0200, Frank Naumann wrote:
> > This gives us
> >  - a virtual address space of a bit less than 4GB *per process* (actually
>
> And on the Milan there are 3 (three!!!) GB reserved I/O area.

Not quite - actually, it is 1GB of PCI memory space and 1 GB of PCI IO space
(we can't reduce the PCI I/O space due to limitations of the used PCI
hostbridge). There is still some room between $C2000000 and $FE000000.

However, for practical reasons, I guess we may need to limit the virtual
memory to 1GB for 'legacy' processes that need to access video memory or IO.

With a (current) limit of 512MB physical memory which you want to map in
kernel space, that leaves us 512MB virtual memory, or 3.5GB for 'clean'
programs that can use the whole address space.

Or do you have a better proposal?

cu
Michael
--
Michael Schwingen, Ahornstrasse 36, 52074 Aachen