Re: [MiNT] virtual memory

On Fri, Apr 21, 2000 at 10:21:18AM +0200, Maurits van de Kamp wrote:
> Yep, it just takes longer before the fragmentation becomes a problem.
> Apart from that, correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems to me that when
> you resolve fragmentation this way (one huge address space), bits of
> allocated memory will be spread across the 4GB space which means you'll
> be swapping all the time even though you're not actually using as much
> RAM as you physically have. Or am I imagining this wrong?

I think so. spawwing occurs if no free *physical* page is found - where the
pages are mapped in virtual address space does not matter, the only
important thing is the ratio between physical and used virtual pages (and
the access patterns).

cu
Michael
--
Michael Schwingen, Ahornstrasse 36, 52074 Aachen