Re: [MiNT] OpenSource

On 2000-2-22, Tamminen Eero <t150315@students.cc.tut.fi> wrote:

> > GNU stuff, sure.  Star Office and other productivity apps, no.
>
> If you don't need Windows Office compatilibity or same user
> interface, Open Source has at some pretty good alternatives
> for this functionality.

Unfortunately, I _need_ 100% Office compatibility.  Like it or
not, Excel and Word are nowadays _standards_ and I cannot refuse
a contract or twist a customer's arm into using LaTex.

> Gimp is no Photoshop, but for non-professionals a pretty good
> alternative.

Even professionals start to find it better than photoshop, for
certain things.  I love GIMP, myself.

> There are some forays into music and DTP area in Open Source
> too, but nothing compareble to Cubase & Calamus though.

And this remains a problem.  Until I see _at_least_ a Linux i386
version of Cubase or Logic, or Quark Express... pfff

> Using Linux at work,

Dreaming of being allowed to delete NT and install Debian at work,

--
Martin-Éric Racine  http://funkyware.atari.org/  Atari TT030 FAQ
Lappeenranta, Finland.  Surfing on a Intel/Microsoft-free GEM OS