Re: [MiNT] How to unmount a partition?

On Mon, 21 Feb 2000, Michael Schwingen wrote:

> On Sat, Feb 19, 2000 at 01:25:18AM +0100, Guido Flohr wrote:
> > Before you can unmount you would have to mount and that has several
> > disadvantages, ask Frank about it.  Besides, there are few machines
>
> The mounting can be done automatically just like the kernel
> does now. Think of unmounting as flushing all dirty buffers and
> setting a read-only flag on the device.

This could work for mounting, in the sense of removable disks.

For other things, symbolic linking cannot replace mounting.  If I
want /usr/local on a writable drive, but the main /usr hierarchy
from a read-only drive (such as a spare CD drive), I cannot do
this anymore; the whole /usr must be on the same partition.

--
Martin-Éric Racine  http://funkyware.atari.org/  Atari TT030 FAQ
Lappeenranta, Finland.  Surfing on a Intel/Microsoft-free GEM OS