Re: [MiNT] serial driver announcement

On Thu, 20 Jan 2000, Frank Naumann wrote:

> Some minutes ago I released a first version of the new MFP and SCC serial
> drivers.
>
> The drivers require a new FreeMiNT version too. I also put a a new 1.15.6
> beta version on my page.

This is excellent, however I can't get the new drivers to work properly on
my TT. I have not tested the MFP driver much, but the SCC driver, although
it seems to work in a fashion, does not work well at all.

Sometimes it appears to work fine, for example I can talk to my modem with
minicom and there is no problem. However as soon as I try to run uucp, ppp
or vgetty on my modem port I run into problems where the program seems to
wait forever on input, never seeing the input that was actually received
from the modem.

Further investigation suggests that reads of a single byte work ok, but
reading multiple bytes is what causes the hang up.

I looked at the scc code but not being very knowledgable about how it
works and not having much time, I did not make much progress. However I
did find that when it freezes in the read, it has got to the "sleep until
we received enough data" point. But even if data is received, it never
seems to get out of that loop.

This is not all, however, since the exact symptoms seem to depend upon the
baud rate and some other factors which I have not discovered. In one
instance I had pppd working over a null-modem connection but I don't know
how I did it.

Let me know if I can do anything more specific to narrow down the problem.

(I am using FreeMiNT 1.15.6.)

| Mario Becroft           * Tariland, New Zealand Atari User Group      |
| mb@gem.win.co.nz        * Atari Hardware Developments:                |
| http://gem.win.co.nz/   * NEW: QWERTYX - PC AT Keyboard Interface     |