[MiNT] Manpage locations

Hi,

On Sat, Sep 11, 1999 at 01:22:30PM +0000, kellis wrote:
> On Sat, 11 Sep 1999, Martin-Eric Racine wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 11 Sep 1999, Guido Flohr wrote:
> > > Finally, I must admit that I don't consider it a good idea to put manpages
> > > into /usr/share because they are not sharable (at least not across
> > > platforms).
> >
> > Actually, they _are_, as any other other text-based file is.  The
> > only thing that is not sharable accross the board are cat-formatted
> > versions (which is not a problem, since the FHS philosophy is that
> > man pages should always be formatted on the fly and stored in
> > /var/share/man during their use.
> >

> Martin I don't agree here.
> the formated version is a so little prob, Just need to reformat them.
> The problem is the content of the manual which IS different depending the
> machine/os you have.

Does anybody know if such problems have been reported to the FHS
team?  A clean solution would be IMHO to continue to store os
specific manpages in /usr/man, os independent manpages could go
into /usr/share/man and $MANPAGE has to be extended accordingly.

Ciao

Guido
--
http://stud.uni-sb.de/~gufl0000/