Re: [MiNT] MiNTLib 0.52.3b

Hi!

On Fri, Aug 06, 1999 at 01:00:44PM +0200, Julian Reschke wrote:
> We had this discussion and I think there was a technical agreement that the
> best approach is to set the directory entries to "hidden" so that they don't
> appear in a normal directory listing. Everybody who asks for this
> functionality can now sit down and add it to unifs.c (or what it is called).

I once implemented a solution where a new mint.cnf variable HIDEGEMODS
(also possible to be influenced via Ssystem()) offered the possibility
to completely hide certain drive letters from U:\. Completely means that
they /never/ would appear in U:\, i.e. no file attribute was used (but
of course, the path remained accessible; i.e. although for example U:\a
didn't appear in the output of ls, it was still possible to access
U:\a\somefile).

This was rejected by Frank because this wasn't what was agreed on here,
i.e. a solution with a file attribute. The problem with the latter,
though, is that it won't work by changing unifs.c, as a lookup on a
drive letter in U:\ already returns the affected filesystem's root
cookie, so all further accesses to it are no longer handled by unifs.c,
but the filesystem on that drive. IOW, for an attribute-based solution,
you'd have to change each and every filesystem.

Ciao

Thomas

--
Thomas Binder (Gryf @ IRCNet)  gryf@hrzpub.tu-darmstadt.de