Re: [MiNT] Quitting MiNT & MultiTOS

johnnie ligotage wrote:

> What is the recommended way of `turning off` our machines, if you are
> running AES 4.1 (Atari MultiTOS) on the console?

I was always told it wasn't possible to exit singlegem or Atari AES 4.1,
and in fact it wasn't.. until I tried it again a while ago. I
accidentally started singlegem and was not happy with it, so in a
desperate attempt I opened u:\proc and dragged the two GEM-processes to
the trashcan.. and lo and behold, the screen cleared, bash said
"terminated" and I got the prompt back! :) Looks like something in MiNT
has changed since 1.15 that enables me to kill singlegem. Might also
work for AES 4.1, dunno :) After that you can shutdown as usual.

What are you running, besides AES4.1? I mean is it just MiNT with AES as
shell, or the whole init stuff? If you only run the AES there shouldn't
be any problems if you just let the cache flush after your last
operation and before switching off. If you run the whole unixy
environment, another way of preventing errors (if aes 4.1 still can't be
killed) is to kill all those background things like crond, inetd,
syslogd.. You can do that from the AES desktop. Once you only have the
unkillable things running (mint, init, aes?) it should be safe to switch
off after waiting for a flush.

All a bit messy I agree. :) Let's hope AES4.1 enters GPL too. :)

Maurits.